JOSEPH TORREGANO: CLARINET
Directions: Read the conversation between Jeremy Jeanjacques and Joseph Torregano.
Below is a guide to help you read through with the interview and prepare to present the chapter to your classmates.
Include your own notes and reflections as well! (An important skill in ethnography.)
• Joe says that becoming a teacher is like, “becoming a priest.” What does he mean by that and how did he and didn’t he fit the role?
• Who were some important mentors for in Joe’s life as a professional musician and as a teacher?
• Why were they important to him?
• Why are high school bands an important part of music education in New Orleans?
• What challenges are faced by band and music directors in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina?
• How many times would Joe listen to a song he was trying to learn?
• What did you learn about the clarinet from reading the chapter?
•What is the bass drum’s role in a brass band and how does it interact with the other instruments?
• Other important parts of the interview to highlight include:
The Takeaway: What is the main “takeaway” from Jeremy’s conversation with Joe?
What is their most important insight to you, and how does it relate to your own experiences with music?